New Customers Only | Commercial content | 18+
When you play poker there must be a solid strategy framework in place if you are going to have a chance of winning. If you simply take the approach of just clicking buttons randomly based on what you feel like is the correct decision at the time then you aren’t going to get very far.
Where can I learn poker strategy?
There are a bunch of different places where you can learn poker strategy. Making use of these educational tools will improve the speed at which you can learn the game. Nowadays, with online tools and educational material, new players have never had it so good when it comes to learning the game. Before, the internet players had to play a lot of hands to figure out the correct way of playing the game.
Here are some of the best ways to learn the game:
- Training videos: there are many places online where you can get access to training videos that will boost the speed of your learning. The training videos contain footage of professionals playing the game, and they discuss the hands that they are playing. You get to see all of their cards and understand the thought process behind the decisions they are making. If you are interested in learning the game of poker fast to a high level then this is a good way to get it done.
- Books: many poker training books have been written where you can get a lot of strategy insight regarding the right way to play the game. For tournament poker, one of the best options that you can go with is “Winning poker tournaments one hand at a time”. In the book, the authors, who are professional poker players, share the hand histories of the tournaments they played and reveal the decision-making process every step of the way. A very insightful read that will surely add value to your poker education.
- Blogs: you can sign up to poker forums and discuss your hand histories with other players. Some members of the poker forum will be a lot more experienced than you. Asking them for some insight will allow you to fine tune your game so that moving forward, the same mistakes are not made.
- Coaching: if you are serious about the game of poker and want help from a professional, then you can hire one to coach you. The help will typically be given via a video call where you can ask for help and quickly receive the answers you want. 1 on 1 poker coaching can be expensive and it all depends on the individual you have hired.
- TV: there are plenty of TV shows where professionals and amateur players alike play for large sums of money. The action is gripping, serious and entertaining. You also get to see how the players play because the cards are shown to the audience. This gives you a chance to learn the game.
Overall helpful strategies
There are a few things that you can do in order to tilt the odds of success in your favor. Here are a few tips to get you going:
- Hand tracking software: a lot of poker players make use of hand tracking software that allows you to see stats of the players playing at the tables. The software also records your hand histories so that you can come back at a later stage to analyse your play. Having details of your opponents gives you an insight into how they are playing. If you’re multi-tabling then looking at how each opponent is playing manually might not be practical. So making use of the software can be a huge help.
- Play when rested: it’s important that you log in for a session of poker when you are in the right frame of mind and rested. Poker is a mind game that requires patience. If you are tired then you’ll make bad decisions, you’ll be more likely to tilt and it just makes wining at poker harder. Games are running around the clock. So there is no reason to rush playing when you can wait for the right time. It’s especially important to be rested when playing tournament poker as they can take a long time. To get to the final table of a tournament it can take anywhere from 4-8 hours.
- Sign up bonuses: when playing at a new poker site for the very first time make sure that you take advantage of the bonus offers they have available for you. In order to attract new players, poker bonuses (just like this mad bookie promo) exist which allows you to win more money in your first few weeks of playing there. The bonuses can range from things like free tournament tickets or bonus cash that you’ll have to earn loyalty points to unlock.
Pre-flop poker strategy
What separates the good players from the bad ones is typically the type of pre-flop poker strategy that you make use of. You need to be as patient as possible and wait for the better hands. These include hands like 10 10, JJ, QQ, KK, AA, AK, AQ and AJ. Think about it: if you have one of the better hands then your chances of wining will be higher. Of course you can still lose, but it’s all about maximizing your overall chances.
The mentality of patience and playing the waiting game will wear on your opponents and eventually you’ll be able to corner them with a strong holding.
In the end you can have all of the poker strategy and knowledge, but not know how to make use of it if the experience is not there. As you play more poker tournaments and hands in general you’ll begin to develop a sense of what playing style you prefer, and based on that come up with an effective poker strategy. Practice makes perfect is a saying that is applicable here.